Search

Man, 75, hospitalised after house fire starts while he was turning off smoke detector

PUBLISHED: 13:22 23 February 2020 | UPDATED: 13:22 23 February 2020

Rory Keable, 75, was taken to the James Paget University Hospital after a blaze erupted in his kitchen while he was making dinner. Photo: Matthew Nixon

Rory Keable, 75, was taken to the James Paget University Hospital after a blaze erupted in his kitchen while he was making dinner. Photo: Matthew Nixon

Archant

A man in his 70s was hospitalised after a fire started at his house while he was busy trying to turn off a smoke detector.

Fire fighters from Lowestoft North and Lowestoft South were called to a flat fire on in the town on Saturday night. Picture: Suffolk Fire and Rescue ServiceFire fighters from Lowestoft North and Lowestoft South were called to a flat fire on in the town on Saturday night. Picture: Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service

Rory Keable, 75, was taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston after a blaze broke out in his kitchen while he was making dinner.

He had to be rescued from his house by emergency services, and was rushed to hospital in an ambulance due to inhaling smoke.

Thankfully Mr Keable - who lives with his brother, who also escaped unhurt - suffered no serious injuries, and is thanking his neighbours for calling the emergency services and assisting him during the fire.

He said the fire started when he "was in the kitchen grilling burgers with the window open" when it went off.

Fire fighters from Lowestoft North and Lowestoft South were called to a flat fire on in the town on Saturday night. Picture: Suffolk Fire and Rescue ServiceFire fighters from Lowestoft North and Lowestoft South were called to a flat fire on in the town on Saturday night. Picture: Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service

"There wasn't any fire, and it's always me that sets it off. So I went to sort it," he said.

"It's funny because I just had it checked, but I lost the key to operate it so I couldn't turn it off.

You may also want to watch:

"By the time I found the key and went back to the kitchen, the grill was actually on fire."

READ MORE: One person rescued from flat fire



Mr Keable's neighbour, Keith, said he was concerned when the alarm did not stop ringing.

"At first I thought it was a burglary alarm," he said. "I knocked and it seemed nobody was in, but it wouldn't stop. So I called the police.

"When they came, there were flames, they were really quite big - blowing out of the window with a lot of black smoke."

Firefighters from Lowestoft North and Lowestoft South arrived at the property on London Road South, Lowestoft, shortly after, using hose reel jets to extinguish the flames.

Mr Keable said: "Their response was great. I'd like to thank my neighbour Keith for calling them, and looking after me as they put the fire out. He sat me down outside and gave me a drink.

"Fortunately I smothered the fire with a blanket, and the fire crews said that stopped it getting worse.

"I thank everyone really, the staff at the hospital too. You can always rely on people having good will."

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury