Search

Man's death sparks major health scare

PUBLISHED: 15:31 18 April 2008 | UPDATED: 10:54 03 July 2010

A 60-year-old man has sparked a major health scare after he died from Legionnaires' disease at the James Paget University Hospital.

The man, who is from Suffolk, died at the Gorleston hospital on April 11.

A 60-year-old man has sparked a major health scare after he died from Legionnaires' disease at the James Paget University Hospital.

The man, who is from Suffolk, died at the Gorleston hospital on April 11.

Officials from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) are now investigating to see if holiday makers at a Scottish resort are at risk from the contagious disease after the man stayed there before being taken to hospital.

Legionella bacteria have been found on a shower head and hot tub at the Piperdam resort, near Dundee, and site owners have now closed its lodges, swimming and spa facilities.

The HPA has assured anyone who stayed at Piperdam from April 2 to 15 that the risk of contracting Legionnaires' is “low”.

Legionnaires' is an airborne disease and is dispersed into the air in very fine droplets of water.

It has an incubation period of two to 14 days and symptoms include muscle aches, tiredness, dry cough, diarrhoea and fever.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury