Man with a long career spent at sea
JOHN William Wooltorton who died at the James Paget University Hospital on April 24, aged 97, served in the Royal Navy during the second world war.He was born at Shoeburyness on October 8, 1911.
JOHN William Wooltorton who died at the James Paget University Hospital on April 24, aged 97, served in the Royal Navy during the second world war.
He was born at Shoeburyness on October 8, 1911. Three years later, following his father's demobilisation, the family moved to Runham. Leaving school at 14 he found employment at Mr Waters' farm at Herringby. Later he joined a fishing company sailing off the coast of both East Anglia and Scotland. He worked at Cantley sugar factory between December and May when not engaged in fishing.
At the outbreak of war he joined the Royal Navy and was drafted to the mine-sweeper base at Lowestoft. Throughout the war he served on HMS Eaglesea in the Mediterranean where he was involved in food and water convoys to Malta.
Following demobilisation he was employed by Trinity House at the Yarmouth depot where he was a stoker on both Warden and Mermaid where he was promoted to Petty Officer. He retired from Trinity House when he was 60 and spent his remaining working years at Johnson's factory in Gorleston.
You may also want to watch:
He enjoyed 37 years of retirement taking part in bowls and cultivating his allotment.
He leaves a widow Ena, a daughter and a son, a daughter-in-law and a son-in-law, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
- 1 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 Bid for four-storey waterside flats on warehouse site
- 4 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 5 Nine cars damaged in overnight spree in Great Yarmouth
- 6 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 7 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 8 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels