Martham’s Molly takes a well earned back seat
A DEDICATED great-grandmother who has been the secretary of a club for older people for more than 60 years is stepping down from her role.
Molly Alexander, 87, has been secretary at Martham Old Folk’s Club since its inception 63 years ago.
Mrs Alexander said: “I can remember the first ever meeting because the village hall was full of people but in those days it wasn’t such a big village.
“I like doing it because I enjoy meeting people and seeing them enjoy themselves. For some people it’s the only time they get out because they haven’t got cars. Some are regulars and wouldn’t miss it for the world. They are such a good crowd.”
The club, which has more than 80 members on the books, welcomes pensioners every Thursday to play cards, bingo, dominoes and to have a chat.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Alexander, who has a daughter, three grandchildren and a great-grandchild, said: “I still enjoy it. We are having a party in March and will invite people from other clubs in the area, there’s the carnival in July and then we start thinking about Christmas - it doesn’t stop.
“People keep saying I should keep on but this year I have had to think again. I am delegating bits.”
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 7 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 10 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
The club also organises trips for its members and over the past few years they have been on shopping excursions to London and Nottingham.
Although she plans to leave her role as secretary, Mrs Alexander will still remain actively involved on the committee.
She added: “I want to do what I can while I can.”
The club meet every Thursday at Martham Village Hall between 2pm and 4pm. New members are welcome.