Memorial service for
A MEMORIAL service is planned for Bert “Sailor” Brown on May 16 at 2pm at St Andrew's Church, Gorleston and Emerald Park football ground afterwards.The former Charlton, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa player died at the end of last year aged 93.
A MEMORIAL service is planned for Bert “Sailor” Brown on May 16 at 2pm at St Andrew's Church, Gorleston and Emerald Park football ground afterwards.
The former Charlton, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa player died at the end of last year aged 93.
Bert was among the oldest surviving England internationals from the wartime era and played in four successive Wembley Cup Finals.
After his full time playing career ended he returned to his home town and enjoyed a successful spell managing Gorleston Football Club.
You may also want to watch:
Team mates at Charlton nicknamed Bert “Popeye the Sailor" because of his short muscular build and rolling gait. The name stuck but was shortened over the years to Sailor.
- 1 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 2 Pleasure Beach's tropical event ready to launch - and free macs if it rains
- 3 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show
- 4 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 5 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 6 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 7 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 8 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
- 9 Best friend pays tribute to missing woman, describing her as a 'lovely lady'
- 10 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found