Memory elephant will roll back the years
THEY say that elephants never forget and it is hoped that this one successfully stirs the memories of elderly people with Alzheimer's disease.Sheringham artist Kate Munro has been working with a group of over-50s to decorate Ele - of Norwich Go Elephants fame - with pictures reflecting their memories of Yarmouth.
THEY say that elephants never forget and it is hoped that this one successfully stirs the memories of elderly people with Alzheimer's disease.
Sheringham artist Kate Munro has been working with a group of over-50s to decorate Ele - of Norwich Go Elephants fame - with pictures reflecting their memories of Yarmouth.
Images transferred to fabric and draped over the elephant reflect everything from well-known local scenes, such as the beach and Hippodrome Circus, to personal photographs brought along to drop-in sessions at the King's Centre, in Southtown.
David Dickeson, branch manager of the Alzheimer's Society, which has been working on the project with the arts charity SeaChange, said: “About 25 people have been coming along with their carers to take part. It can help keeping the brain active and people with dementia remember the past, not the now.”
You may also want to watch:
Sarah James, from SeaChange, said: “People have come along and chatted about their stories, covering everything from holidays here to eating out and family events.”
The memory elephant will take part in a parade as part of Yarmouth's Out There festival in September and will be displayed at the town's Time and Tide museum on October 1 for International Older People's Day.
- 1 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 2 Former town centre pub set to become flats
- 3 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 4 'You'll be in wheelchair' - Woman, 60, defies consultants to climb mountains
- 5 Tiny dog almost loses leg after stepping on broken glass
- 6 Man released on bail following Gorleston murder arrest
- 7 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 8 Burst main knocks out water supply to Broads villages
- 9 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 10 Your tributes to the loved and lost for Father's Day