£1 weekend and autism-friendly opening coming up at Merrivale Model Village
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2013
If happiness is in the little things then mini Merrivale must be a huge hunk of joy.
And visitors to Great Yarmouth’s seafront model village can delight in all it has to offer for just one small pound this weekend.
The famous £1 weekend has become an annual season opener and one that is being continued by its new owners Frank and Frances Newsome.
As the couple enter their second year in charge - and their first early season - Mrs Newsome said they had big plans for the attraction.
A new sensory garden should open by Easter in a new area opened up behind the waterfall after some trees and shrubs were cleared.
You may also want to watch:
She hopes it will add to the experience particularly for autistic children with monthly after-hours sessions planned for those with special needs.
Mrs Newsome said people were often quick to judge when an autistic child became angry or upset and that it might be nice to offer them dedicated evenings when the gardens were closed to the public.
- 1 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 2 New Sports Direct in town's former M&S set for summer opening
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 Great Yarmouth man banned from high street at night
- 5 Norfolk ban for three men who stole cash from Yarmouth fruit machines
- 6 The challenges of May 17 re-opening - including keeping people sat down
- 7 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Woman shares horror after pet cat Dave is mutilated by elastic band
- 9 "I love it here" - No surprise at village's Rightmove popularity
- 10 "We're looking to move soon" - Neighbours' anger over derelict building fires
The village will open daily from March 24 with a rabbit hunt planned for Easter.
The couple also plan to add a free play area and to move the remote control cars and crazy golf as the site is re-configured.
For this weekend entry is £1. Opening hours are 10 to 5pm, last admission 4pm.