Missing Sophie Smith suffered from severe anxiety and depression, police reveal
- Credit: Norfolk Police
Missing student Sophie Smith suffers from severe anxiety and depression police have revealed, with the lead officer adding hopes of finding her alive are fading with each passing hour.
Sophie, a 21-year-old student at the UEA, went missing from her home in Avondale Road in Gorleston in the early hours of Boxing Day.
She left her Avondale Road home at around 3am, believed to be only wearing a dark coloured vest top and light coloured shorts.
At a media briefing at Great Yarmouth police station Inspector Will Drummond said: “What we have got is we have got an image, we believe to be an image of her, running from the home address and towards the beach in Avondale Road.
“She is wearing a vest top and shorts, which is quite unprepared for the weather.
“What I can say is that from speaking to the family in great detail, Sophie suffers from severe anxiety and depression, which she is being treated for.
“There was a level of what I would call preparation prior to running away. I think the combination of the preparation and her mental state at the time, comments made, may suggest there is a likelihood that unfortunately she may have gone into the sea.”
- 1 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 2 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 3 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 4 Four fire crews tackle flat blaze in Great Yarmouth
- 5 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 6 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 7 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 8 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
- 9 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 10 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
Insp Drummond said it was still being treated as a missing persons enquiry but added the first 48 hours of any search are vital in locating missing people.
Insp Drummond then added: “We have diligently searched for Sophie and have investigated a range of scenarios but unfortunately there have been no confirmed sightings or contact since she left her property at 3am.
“We have spoken to friends and family, conducted house to house enquiries and checked her social media accounts. We have liaised with local hospitals, places she’s known to have links and House to house enquires.
“We have also conducted a widespread search, including possible CCTV sightings, but unfortunately nothing has been found. I would like to take this opportunity to ask the public to check their sheds and outbuildings in case Sophie has got disorientated and slept in the nearest place of shelter.”
Sophie is white about 5ft 8, of a slim build with shoulder length blonde hair. It is believed she was wearing a dark coloured vest top and light coloured shorts.
Anyone with information should contact Norfolk Police immediately on 101.