More port jobs to go at Yarmouth company
REMAINING dock workers in Great Yarmouth are to be made redundant - a move which has angered union members. The shock news was revealed by Unite today and 11 port workers at EastPort Cargo Handling are expecting to be made redundant in the next few weeks with the union claiming EastPort UK will use casual workers instead.
REMAINING dock workers in Great Yarmouth are to be made redundant - a move which has angered union members.
The shock news was revealed by Unite today and it is expected that the 11 port workers at EastPort Cargo Handling will be made redundant in the next few weeks, with the union claiming EastPort UK will use casual workers instead.
It comes just over a month after five workers were made redundant from the cargo handling company - formerly Great Yarmouth Stevedoring Company - a move which left many doubting what the �50m outer harbour could deliver for local jobs.
In a statement Unite again raised concerns over the loss of local jobs at an expanding port with the outer harbour just months away from starting commercial operations.
You may also want to watch:
Victor Brazkiewicz, regional industrial organiser for Unite, said the workforce had been “decimated” and “demoralised” by the situation. “To add insult to injury, EastPort is now looking to replace our members with casual labour.”
See Friday's Mercury for the full story
- 1 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 5 Testing ramped up after 'extreme rise' in Covid cases in coastal areas
- 6 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 7 Woman whose house was bombed in the war celebrates 100th birthday
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Great Yarmouth bakery forced to close after it was 'condemned dangerous'
- 10 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park