More than £1000 raised for couple in week after house ravaged by fire
- Credit: Archant
More than £1,000 has been raised for an elderly couple after their thatched house was ravaged by a fire.
A cottage on The Street in Halvergate, near Great Yarmouth, burst into flames shortly after 8.30pm on New Year's Day and it saw an elderly man taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after attempting to put out the fire himself.
Neighbours have jumped to the support of the couple by creating a crowdfunding campaign that has already raised more than £1,000.
"It was the only way I could think of to help," said Louise Brown, 46, who started the campaign.
"There was nothing I could do physically, and I thought what would I like to receive if it was me or my parents, because I knew the tenants were elderly."
So far £1,137 has been raised through 76 donations.
Mrs Brown added: "The goal started as £200 and it's already there. I had to keep putting the target up. The family are delighted with everyone's response and the community spirit.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 6 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 9 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 10 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
"However, that will literally only buy clothes and hire a couple of skips. I know times are tight just after Christmas and everyone is in a bit of a pinch but every tiny little bit helps, even a pound here or there."
You can donate to the crowdfunder by visiting www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/halvergatevillagersaid.