More than £1000 raised for couple in week after house ravaged by fire
- Credit: Archant
More than £1,000 has been raised for an elderly couple after their thatched house was ravaged by a fire.
A cottage on The Street in Halvergate, near Great Yarmouth, burst into flames shortly after 8.30pm on New Year's Day and it saw an elderly man taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after attempting to put out the fire himself.
Neighbours have jumped to the support of the couple by creating a crowdfunding campaign that has already raised more than £1,000.
"It was the only way I could think of to help," said Louise Brown, 46, who started the campaign.
"There was nothing I could do physically, and I thought what would I like to receive if it was me or my parents, because I knew the tenants were elderly."
You may also want to watch:
So far £1,137 has been raised through 76 donations.
Mrs Brown added: "The goal started as £200 and it's already there. I had to keep putting the target up. The family are delighted with everyone's response and the community spirit.
- 1 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 2 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 3 'One of the most generous people' - Family pays tribute to town 'legend'
- 4 Girl, 13, injured in hit-and-run outside village shop
- 5 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 6 Police cordon at cafe and beach ahead of demolition
- 7 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 8 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 9 'Nothing worse than shut shops': Relief in Great Yarmouth as lockdown lifts
- 10 'An absolute shock' - clifftop cafe closed amid demolition fears
"However, that will literally only buy clothes and hire a couple of skips. I know times are tight just after Christmas and everyone is in a bit of a pinch but every tiny little bit helps, even a pound here or there."
You can donate to the crowdfunder by visiting www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/halvergatevillagersaid.