MP steps in over fears for homes
GREAT Yarmouth MP Tony Wright has intervened in a dispute between the residents and owners of a Bradwell mobile home site.People living on Beaumont Park, on Mill Lane, fear their homes would fall apart if plans to re-position them get the go-ahead.
GREAT Yarmouth MP Tony Wright has intervened in a dispute between the residents and owners of a Bradwell mobile home site.
People living on Beaumont Park, on Mill Lane, fear their homes would fall apart if plans to re-position them get the go-ahead.
Mr Wright, who visited the site this week, is seeking a meeting with borough council officers to raise residents concerns.
He said: “There is no way these mobile homes could be moved as they would fall apart.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to find a way round this impasse to avoid the danger of these people being made homeless. There is a level of bureaucracy we need to get through and have a bit of common sense rather than saying, rules are rules.”
Borough environmental health officers insist that the fire safety gap between at least some of the homes fails to meet the regulation 6m.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 3 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Covid jab centre receives additional vaccination stocks
- 9 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 10 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park
The residents own their homes, but rent pitches from F and D Continental Roadways who purchased the site last year.
Demands for rent increases from �75 to �100 a month to pay for better lighting and road access have also been rejected by residents.
Retired roofer Brian Richardson, 68, who moved to the park with his partner Kathy Miller, 65, nine years ago, said: “This worry has even made people ill. Some residents are in their 80s.
“Our insurance companies would not pay for any damage to the homes and legally the site owners are responsible.”
He said there was a fear that the park owner wanted to get rid of the old mobile homes, as new plans being put before the borough council indicated concrete pads not big enough for the existing ones.
Cambridgeshire based F and D Continental Roadways purchased the site last summer.
Co-owner Carol Smith, who runs the company with her husband said: “The site is totally run down and caravans need to be re-positioned to create more space.
“There were not even any fire hydrants previously - all the fencing and sheds are fire risks.