Music ban for Yarmouth restaurant
A RESTAURANT has been banned from playing music late at night following the first ever review of a licence by Great Yarmouth Borough Council.Licensing permission was granted in July for the performance of live music and the playing of recorded music at the Coyote Bar in King Street when the premises was then known as the Rose Restaurant.
A RESTAURANT has been banned from playing music late at night following the first ever review of a licence by Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
Licensing permission was granted in July for the performance of live music and the playing of recorded music at the Coyote Bar in King Street when the premises was then known as the Rose Restaurant.
But the borough council's licensing sub-committee decided to remove permission after hearing how a neighbouring resident had struggled to cope with the stress of loud noise from the restaurant late at night.
The committee also heard how the premises had become a bar in contravention of planning permission stating it had to be used as a restaurant or caf�.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors heard how persistent noise and rowdiness had driven Joyce Cracknell, who rents a flat next door, to complain to the council and seek help from Victim Support.
Brian Hemsley, a volunteer with Victim Support, said Mrs Cracknell had visited the Yarmouth branch regularly and had kept an extensive log of all the noise disturbances.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 9 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
Sarah Flatman, the council's environmental health officer, said council officers had placed noise monitors in Mrs Cracknell's home and found the sound levels too high. She added the restaurant's current licensee, Zeferino Da Costa, and designated premises supervisor, Brenda Gibson, had been warned to keep the noise down because of the proximity of nearby residents when they applied to take over the licence from the previous holders in November.
Mrs Flatman said: “In my 18 years as an environmental health officer this is one of the worst cases of noise disturbance that I have investigated and in my opinion, Mrs Cracknell has suffered noise disturbance.”
No-one from the restaurant attended the meeting.