Search

Myleene Klass warned over knife

PUBLISHED: 10:38 11 January 2010 | UPDATED: 16:16 30 June 2010

Norfolk musician and television presenter Myleene Klass is said to be “bemused” after being warned by police for waving a knife at youths who entered her garden in the middle of the night while her young daughter slept upstairs.

Norfolk musician and television presenter Myleene Klass is said to be “bemused” after being warned by police for waving a knife at youths who entered her garden in the middle of the night while her young daughter slept upstairs.

The former Gorleston girl, who rose to fame with reality pop group Hear'Say, was at home in Hertfordshire when it is thought she spotted two teenagers looking through her kitchen window.

With two-year-old Ava upstairs asleep and her fiance Graham Quinn away, it was left to terrified Myleene, 31, to defend her home on Friday morning.

Hertfordshire Police officers warned Miss Klass she should not have used a knife to scare off the youths because carrying an “offensive weapon” - even in her own home - was illegal.

Her spokesman Jonathan Shalit said Myleene was “utterly terrified'” and was stepping up security at the property near Potters Bar.

He told a national newspaper: “Myleene was aghast when she was told that the law did not allow her to defend herself at home.

“All she did was scream loudly and wave the knife to try to frighten them off.

“She is not looking to be a vigilante, and has the utmost respect for the law, but when the police explained to her that even if you're at home alone and you have an intruder, you are not allowed to protect yourself, she was bemused.”

However, a Herts police spokesman said there was no reference made on the incident report about a weapon.

“We got a call at 12.45am to reports of the owner of the property hearing noises outside their address,” she said.

“They had been there for 45 minutes.

“Officers were in attendance and checked the property.

“There was no one around although they could see footprints in the snow.

“No property had been taken and there were no intruders.

“It was treated as a trespass incident.

“Words of advice were given in relation to ensuring suspicious behaviour is reported immediately.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury