Near miss for jailed drunk driver
A DRUNKEN motorist who drove dangerously around Asda car park in Great Yarmouth narrowly missing crashing into petrol pumps was jailed on Wednesday.
Chronic alcoholic Kelvin Parsons, 42, who was four and a half times over the legal drink drive limit, ignored supermarket staff who tried to stop him and drove around the car park hitting bollards.
Driving over a pedestrian crossing and traffic islands, he then drove over the store’s petrol forecourt nearly hitting the petrol pumps.
Norwich Crown Court heard that he finally came to a stop after crashing into a fence, causing �500 worth of damage, and when arrested was so drunk he could not speak to officers and was incapable of standing.
Parsons of Bates Green Norwich admitted dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol on May 18 this year.
You may also want to watch:
Jailing him for five months and posing a three year driving ban recorder Katharine Moore told him “on May 18 this year you got very very drunk and then drove dangerously on the car park at Asda.”
She said it was a 24 hour store and said it was more by luck than judgement no one was injured. “You were perilously close to petrol pumps, hitting a petrol pump at speed can cause explosions.”
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 How Great Yarmouth are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Bid for new affordable homes on 'eyesore' site in Gorleston
- 4 New vintage store opens bigger premises
- 5 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 6 N-Dubz themed bottomless brunch announced for Norfolk
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 8 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
- 9 Picture special: Fire on the Water thrills crowds
- 10 Mother-of-two takes over slumber party business
Danielle O’Donovan defending said “this is a poor piece of driving he accepts that entirely. He is a man who for some time has been consumed by an alcohol addiction.”
She said Parsons had turned to drink after suffering a number of family bereavements and had also lost his job and fianc� as a result of his drinking. “He sees this as a point of change for him, he says he is now ready to give up alcohol.