Near miss for jailed drunk driver
A DRUNKEN motorist who drove dangerously around Asda car park in Great Yarmouth narrowly missing crashing into petrol pumps was jailed on Wednesday.
Chronic alcoholic Kelvin Parsons, 42, who was four and a half times over the legal drink drive limit, ignored supermarket staff who tried to stop him and drove around the car park hitting bollards.
Driving over a pedestrian crossing and traffic islands, he then drove over the store’s petrol forecourt nearly hitting the petrol pumps.
Norwich Crown Court heard that he finally came to a stop after crashing into a fence, causing �500 worth of damage, and when arrested was so drunk he could not speak to officers and was incapable of standing.
Parsons of Bates Green Norwich admitted dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol on May 18 this year.
Jailing him for five months and posing a three year driving ban recorder Katharine Moore told him “on May 18 this year you got very very drunk and then drove dangerously on the car park at Asda.”
She said it was a 24 hour store and said it was more by luck than judgement no one was injured. “You were perilously close to petrol pumps, hitting a petrol pump at speed can cause explosions.”
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 4 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 Charity football match to boost Norfolk and Waveney MIND
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
Danielle O’Donovan defending said “this is a poor piece of driving he accepts that entirely. He is a man who for some time has been consumed by an alcohol addiction.”
She said Parsons had turned to drink after suffering a number of family bereavements and had also lost his job and fianc� as a result of his drinking. “He sees this as a point of change for him, he says he is now ready to give up alcohol.