New beauty salon opens... in bedroom of a Yarmouth guesthouse
A BEAUTY therapist has achieved her dream of becoming the boss of a salon business - in the bedroom of a Great Yarmouth guest house.
Rachel Wallace, 20, started work as a chamber maid at White Lodge Guest House when she left Caister High School four years ago.
She had ambitions of working in the beauty industry and left her job to train at City College in Norwich, but could not find work when she graduated.
When her former guest house boss heard of her struggle, she told her she had a spare room and a plan was hatched.
Jean Minchin, owner of White Lodge in Marine Crescent, said: “I don’t know where the idea first came from - it just occurred to us that maybe we could turn the room into a treatment salon.
“It will be really good for our guests and good for Rachel as it gives her a start in her career as a business woman.
“I’m excited and don’t think there are any other guest houses offering this sort of thing.”
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 5 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 6 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 7 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 9 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 10 'Revolutionary' cancer test trial to begin in Great Yarmouth
The room has been given a �2,000 make-over - with Rachel’s family raising the cash - and Laice Beauty Salon will open its doors officially on Friday, February 10.
Rachel, who lives in Caister, said: “Jean had asked me how the job hunt was going and I said ‘really bad,’ then she said she had a room.
“She offered it to me and I’ve been putting everything into it - I’ve been working every day to get it ready.
“When I first started college I never thought I would have my own salon and I never thought I could be my own boss.”
The salon at the 10 bedroom guest house has had a number of clients through its doors before its official opening - and Rachel says they have been impressed.
Among the treatments available are acrylic, gel and fibreglass nails, facials, waxing and massages.
To make a booking, call Rachel on 07432 413599 or visit White Lodge Guest House, 19 Marine Crescent, Great Yarmouth, NR30 4ET.
Rachel’s new business is a boost to the Mercury’s Love Local campaign, which is about celebrating what’s great about the community where we live.
The lifeblood of our communities is local businesses, and these will be the ones that are so desperately needed in these tough times.
If you have a positive story to tell, email firstname.lastname@example.org