New vaccination centre could jab 1,700 people in three days
- Credit: James Weeds
A new large scale Covid-19 vaccination centre at the Market Gates shopping centre has opened.
The centre has 1,700 vaccines planned between Thursday and Sunday.
It is part of the biggest vaccination programme in NHS history.
James Paget University Hospital at Gorleston is co-ordinating the delivery of the Market Gates vaccination centre.
Paul Morris, director of nursing at the hospital, said: “We are delighted to be launching a large-scale vaccination centre at Market Gates in Great Yarmouth.
You may also want to watch:
“With the opening of the new centre, we are not only increasing vaccination capacity in Norfolk and Waveney but are also delivering this vital service from an easily accessible town centre site."
“It has been a real team effort,” added Mr Morris. “I would like to say thank you to our local GP surgeries, Primary Care Networks, the Clinical Commissioning Group, Great Yarmouth Borough Council and Market Gates.
- 1 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 2 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 3 New Sports Direct in town's former M&S set for summer opening
- 4 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 5 "We're looking to move soon" - Neighbours' anger over derelict building fires
- 6 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 7 Legal challenge over riverside footpath is finally resolved
- 8 Cafe opens at expanded farm shop that boomed during lockdown
- 9 The challenges of May 17 re-opening - including keeping people sat down
- 10 "I love it here" - No surprise at village's Rightmove popularity
"At the moment, we don't have an end date here at this centre. While the local population needs vaccination, the centre will be open."
Dr Karen Mitchell, from the East Norfolk Medical Practice, said: “East Norfolk Medical Practice is proud to be partnering the James Paget on this initiative, which will increase the opportunity for local people to access vaccination.
“Over 18,000 vaccines have been delivered to our practice patients so far, from our existing vaccination sites including Nelson, Park and Newtown surgeries as well as in people’s own homes, and we now look forward to contributing to the delivery of vaccines from this easily accessible central site to benefit our local population.”
The new vaccination centre at Market Gates is currently only available to people from priority groups who have a booked appointment.
One such person was Sharon Fiske, who was accompanying her sister for her first dose. Ms Fiske said: "With more centres, there should be less of a wait, which is great."
If you are eligible for the vaccine, you can use the NHS national booking service online at nhs.uk/covid-vaccination or call 119, between 7am and 11pm seven days a week.
This week, appointments will be available on Thursday and Friday from 11am to 7.30pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 4pm.