New fast food outlet on way to Yarmouth
Subway's move to a prominent town centre unit is set to boost the fortunes of one Great Yarmouth's oldest shopping centres.The fast food franchise is taking over the vacant Shoe Express unit at the entrance to Victoria Arcade, where a mix of reduced rents and flexible terms are helping to breathe new life into the historic retail hub.
Subway's move to a prominent town centre unit is set to boost the fortunes of one Great Yarmouth's oldest shopping centres.
The fast food franchise is taking over the vacant Shoe Express unit at the entrance to Victoria Arcade, where a mix of reduced rents and flexible terms are helping to breathe new life into the historic retail hub.
Graham Jones, commercial surveyor for letting agents Roche, said the arcade's owner Miller Developments had spent money improving the arcade and cut rents to arrest its alarming decline and stem the number of empty units.
And the fightback was working, he said, with just four of the 30-plus units immediately available for use.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jones said Subway had agreed terms to take half the former Shoe Express unit and hoped to open before Christmas, helping to boost footfall overall and improve first impressions.
He said: “Last year, Miller spent a lot of money improving the entrances and on general cosmetic works inside, then afterwards reduced the rents to get people in and that has been key to its recovery - as well as taking a risk on new businesses and making flexible arrangements. Because Miller are a large company they can afford to take a hit.”
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 3 Murder detectives shift focus to town gardens
- 4 Great Yarmouth heritage site will house a new exotic restaurant
- 5 Covid in numbers - Jabs, cases, and hospital admissions in Great Yarmouth
- 6 Holidaymakers rescued after boat lodged under bridge
- 7 Drivers face delays after Land Rover crashed into traffic lights
- 8 Joe Pasquale and Susan Calman enjoy 'fabulous day out' in Yarmouth
- 9 Popular coastal guest house sells at auction
- 10 Inquest opens into death of Gorleston murder victim
He understood Subway was keeping its seafront presence.