New fast food outlet on way to Yarmouth
Subway's move to a prominent town centre unit is set to boost the fortunes of one Great Yarmouth's oldest shopping centres.The fast food franchise is taking over the vacant Shoe Express unit at the entrance to Victoria Arcade, where a mix of reduced rents and flexible terms are helping to breathe new life into the historic retail hub.
Subway's move to a prominent town centre unit is set to boost the fortunes of one Great Yarmouth's oldest shopping centres.
The fast food franchise is taking over the vacant Shoe Express unit at the entrance to Victoria Arcade, where a mix of reduced rents and flexible terms are helping to breathe new life into the historic retail hub.
Graham Jones, commercial surveyor for letting agents Roche, said the arcade's owner Miller Developments had spent money improving the arcade and cut rents to arrest its alarming decline and stem the number of empty units.
And the fightback was working, he said, with just four of the 30-plus units immediately available for use.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jones said Subway had agreed terms to take half the former Shoe Express unit and hoped to open before Christmas, helping to boost footfall overall and improve first impressions.
He said: “Last year, Miller spent a lot of money improving the entrances and on general cosmetic works inside, then afterwards reduced the rents to get people in and that has been key to its recovery - as well as taking a risk on new businesses and making flexible arrangements. Because Miller are a large company they can afford to take a hit.”
- 1 Bin collection days to change across Great Yarmouth area
- 2 Man accused of murder of woman in Gorleston could stand trial in May
- 3 See inside new homes taking shape at former Pontins holiday park
- 4 New Sainsbury's plan revealed for Bradwell
- 5 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 6 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 7 Council could buy five properties for rough sleepers with complex needs
- 8 New twist in Star Hotel saga as it changes hands for just £1,000
- 9 Are customers still wearing face masks?
- 10 'It's a marvellous day for Yarmouth' - Marina Centre reaches milestone
He understood Subway was keeping its seafront presence.