New page in Yarmouth Library's history
The revamped Great Yarmouth community library will officially open with a day of celebrations and free activities on Saturday October 3.An eight-month building project, funded by a �1.
The revamped Great Yarmouth community library will officially open with a day of celebrations and free activities on Saturday October 3.
An eight-month building project, funded by a �1.3m Lottery grant, has transformed the library into what is hoped will become a new focal point for the community.
As well as improvements to the exterior and layout of the library, the building has been given a community kitchen, an art and craft workshop with a sink, a performance and rehearsal room with a sprung floor, a light, bright gallery and exhibition spaces, and meeting and interview rooms.
All of these rooms will be available for use by community groups and the public.
You may also want to watch:
The refurbishment work was completed earlier this month and although the library is currently open, people are invited to come along on October 3 and see the new building being used to its best advantage, with dozens of fun, free activities and demonstrations for all the family taking place throughout the day.
After the official opening by the chairman of Norfolk County Council, Shelagh Gurney, at 11am, the activities will begin at 11.30am and continue until 4pm.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 3 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 4 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 5 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 6 Historical clock restored after sitting in cellar for 60 years
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 9 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 10 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
Manga workshops, DJ-ing lessons, cooking demonstrations, face painting and balloon models will all be happening along with many more things to watch or get involved with. Entry to the neighbouring Tolhouse Museum will also be free all day.
For a full list of activities and to find out more about the new library, visit www.library.norfolk.gov.uk or go along to the library during normal opening hours and talk to a member of staff.