New page in Yarmouth Library's history
The revamped Great Yarmouth community library will officially open with a day of celebrations and free activities on Saturday October 3.An eight-month building project, funded by a �1.
The revamped Great Yarmouth community library will officially open with a day of celebrations and free activities on Saturday October 3.
An eight-month building project, funded by a �1.3m Lottery grant, has transformed the library into what is hoped will become a new focal point for the community.
As well as improvements to the exterior and layout of the library, the building has been given a community kitchen, an art and craft workshop with a sink, a performance and rehearsal room with a sprung floor, a light, bright gallery and exhibition spaces, and meeting and interview rooms.
All of these rooms will be available for use by community groups and the public.
The refurbishment work was completed earlier this month and although the library is currently open, people are invited to come along on October 3 and see the new building being used to its best advantage, with dozens of fun, free activities and demonstrations for all the family taking place throughout the day.
After the official opening by the chairman of Norfolk County Council, Shelagh Gurney, at 11am, the activities will begin at 11.30am and continue until 4pm.
- 1 House of Fun! When Madness video was shot at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 2 'I was in a dark place' - Woman 'saved' by messages on town's pier
- 3 CCTV appeal after series of Great Yarmouth burglaries
- 4 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
- 5 Lovely jubbly! Only Fools and Horses tribute show heads to town
- 6 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 7 Great Yarmouth's branch of Costa closed for refurbishment
- 8 Five Great Yarmouth properties with stunning sea views
- 9 Inquest into death of woman during cosmetic surgery in Turkey delayed
- 10 Out of stock: Great Yarmouth food bank's uncertain future
Manga workshops, DJ-ing lessons, cooking demonstrations, face painting and balloon models will all be happening along with many more things to watch or get involved with. Entry to the neighbouring Tolhouse Museum will also be free all day.
For a full list of activities and to find out more about the new library, visit www.library.norfolk.gov.uk or go along to the library during normal opening hours and talk to a member of staff.