New store set to create jobs
One hundred new jobs will be created when Matalan launches its new store at the Riverside Retail Park, Norwich, it has been revealed.The fashion and designer homeware retailer, which has more than 200 stores nationwide, will officially take over the 30,000sq ft former Woolworths site on Thursday, August 26, creating some much needed new job opportunities.
One hundred new jobs will be created when Matalan launches its new store at the Riverside Retail Park, Norwich, it has been revealed.
The fashion and designer homeware retailer, which has more than 200 stores nationwide, will officially take over the 30,000sq ft former Woolworths site on Thursday, August 26, creating some much needed new job opportunities.
The grand opening will take place at a special ribbon cutting ceremony led by the Mayor of Norwich and celebrity homewares designer, Jane Asher, at 1pm.
But for customers who want to get their hands on one of 250 Matalan goody bags, and get a sneak peek of what the store has to offer, an early morning opening will take place at 6am.
Andy Allington, store manager at Matalan Norwich, said he had worked for eight years as the general manager at Great Yarmouth and customers were always asking him when they would they be opening a store in the city.
He added: “We have been looking to get into Norwich for nearly 10 years now, so we were really pleased when we managed to acquire the site at the Riverside Retail Park.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 4 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 5 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 6 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 7 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 8 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 9 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
“We are also pleased to announce that we will be bringing 100 new jobs to Norwich.
“There is a lot of demand for a Matalan store, and excitement is gathering already for the store opening. We will be bringing Norwich some really good products and some good prices as well.”
Children are invited to bring cakes for a competition judged by Jane Asher between 12 and 2pm on the day. The winner will take home �100 prize to spend in the store.
Before then, a giant inflatable Matalan boot will be appearing outside The Forum, Norwich, to promote the opening with more prize giveaways.
The former Woolworth's store at the retail park shut in January 2009 following the collapse of the chain and has been empty ever since.
Last year it emerged that Asda was interested in the site for an Asda Living store but a bid to expand the retail unit with nearly 3,800sq m of new retail space on a mezzanine floor was turned down.
Matalan has stores in Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn and Bury St Edmunds.