New Wilko's set to open
GORLESTON is enjoying a pre-Christmas boost with the opening of the town's new Wilkinson store next week.The High Street Shopping Centre store is throwing open its doors just in time for the festive season on Wednesday.
GORLESTON is enjoying a pre-Christmas boost with the opening of the town's new Wilkinson store next week.
The High Street Shopping Centre store is throwing open its doors just in time for the festive season on Wednesday.
Mayor Terry Easter will join Wilkinson director Nick Wilkinson, chief executive Stuart Mitchell and store manager Tracy Vernall to cut the ribbon at 9am.
Stars from Aladdin at Gorleston's Pavilion Theatre Helen McDermott and Mark Hudson will be along to entertain the crowds.
You may also want to watch:
Shoppers can get into the Christmas spirit, indulging in roast chestnuts and enjoying festive hymns from Sound Celebration, a four-piece unaccompanied harmony group from 10.30am.
Children, teachers and parents from Seagulls Day Nursery have been invited to receive a £50 donation from Wilkinson as a thank you for their hard work designing posters, promoting the store's opening.
- 1 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 2 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 3 Work on Great Yarmouth's Third River Crossing 'progressing well'
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 6 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
- 7 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 8 Too early? Family put up Christmas lights... in October
- 9 Picturesque path stays closed to dog owners after consultation
- 10 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
On Saturday, December 13, the store is hosting a family fun day, with a face painting between 10am and 4pm.
The arrival of the home and garden chain has provided a much-needed jobs boost, with 86 permanent and temporary staff taken on for retail and administrative roles.
Previously occupied by Godfrey DIY, which closed in September last year, the 11,000sq ft retail space has been extended into the '60s era precinct.
Store manager, Tracey Vernall said: “We're all really excited that the opening day is almost here. Gorleston is a small, close-knit community and this is the perfect opportunity for residents to come together and celebrate the festive season.
“Every penny counts at the moment and our customers can be safe in the knowledge that shopping at the store will mean that they can continue to buy well-known brands, as well as our own value brand, without breaking the bank. The new store opening comes just in time for locals to get their last-minute stocking fillers ready for Christmas.
“Our involvement in the local community will continue, so watch this space for future events and community initiatives!”
A family owned business, Wilkinson has more than 300 stores nationwide including an outlet in Great Yarmouth's Market Gates shopping centre.