‘Norfolk is the best county’ - politicians back Norfolk Day
- Credit: Archant
Two of the region’s MPs have endorsed Norfolk Day and called the county the “best” in the United Kingdom.
Liz Truss, MP for South and West Norfolk, and Brandon Lewis, MP for Great Yarmouth, were speaking at Peel Ports in Great Yarmouth on Friday.
Ms Truss had been visiting the port to talk about the future of the ports post-Brexit.
Mr Lewis said: “I have done a couple of Norfolk Day stuff locally. I was down at the town centre at St George’s with the mayor and out in the villages where there is some really good stuff.
“We are very lucky in this county, we’ve got things like the Broads, we’ve got Norwich which is a great city, all of the seaside attractions and wonderful beaches throughout the East and the North, it is a great county.”
He Lewis added: “It’s great stuff and we are very lucky to have a county like this and it is a great chance to celebrate that.”
Ms Truss said: “Don’t forget the Fens and the Brecks as well! I was a bit disappointed to see that the Swaffham Butter Cross was not on the list of top Norfolk landmarks.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 6 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 9 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
- 10 Lost sailor found going backwards 12 miles off Norfolk coast
“I love it, it’s the first ever Norfolk Day and it is also the day after my birthday so it is a whole week of celebration. I have been in Garboldisham opening the new fox kitchen for our new community pub and now I’m here in Yarmouth.”
She added: “It is a brilliant county and it is under-recognised, I don’t think people outside of Norfolk realise how great it is.
“I think Norfolk Day is not just about celebrating here it is about getting the message across right across Britain that it is the best county.”
The day’s events near Great Yarmouth started off at Hemsby with family fun at Richardson’s Hemsby Beach Holiday Park, with miniature ship building at the Time and Tide Museum in Great Yarmouth, a street party in Acle, and bell ringing in South Walsham adding to the day’s excitement.
Did you do something special for Norfolk Day? Send us your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2pm tomorrow with details of where they were taken, who is in them, including first and last names, what they show, who took them, and contact names and numbers.