Norwich legend visits Caister school
Canaries legend Darren Huckerby passed on his football knowledge to the next generation of strikers as he visited a �1.4m sports hall in Caister.Huckerby stood on the touchlines as he watched 16 pupils from Caister High School show off their soccer skills in their new sports hall, which was unveiled in September.
Canaries legend Darren Huckerby passed on his football knowledge to the next generation of strikers as he visited a �1.4m sports hall in Caister.
Huckerby stood on the touchlines as he watched 16 pupils from Caister High School show off their soccer skills in their new sports hall, which was unveiled in September.
As well as giving his seal of approval to the spacious hall and its state of the art facilities, Huckerby also gave the year nine youngsters an insight into how he became one of the most popular strikers at Norwich City, netting 48 goals for the club.
Huckerby told the players, some of who feature in Norwich City academy games, that passing the ball at the right moment was vital and that defending in numbers should negate any striking threat.
You may also want to watch:
As well as seeing the new hall on Tuesday, Huckerby also spoke at the school assembly and during a question and answer session said his trickiest opponent was Manchester United's Ronaldo and that apart from Norwich City his favourites club was Coventry City.
PE teacher Katie Price said: “It was a brilliant afternoon. As soon as he turned up the children were buzzing and they all wanted to speak to him.”
- 1 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 2 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 3 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 4 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 5 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 6 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 7 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 Schoolchildren driving Covid rates across Yarmouth
- 10 No further action over arson and fraud allegation at care home
The hall has been opened up to the community by holding five-a-side football and badminton sessions. It was partly funded through sponsored fund-raising events organised by pupils.
Anyone interested in booking after school sports sessions in the hall can call 01493 720542 ext 340 for further information.