Norwich legend visits Caister school
Canaries legend Darren Huckerby passed on his football knowledge to the next generation of strikers as he visited a �1.4m sports hall in Caister.Huckerby stood on the touchlines as he watched 16 pupils from Caister High School show off their soccer skills in their new sports hall, which was unveiled in September.
Canaries legend Darren Huckerby passed on his football knowledge to the next generation of strikers as he visited a �1.4m sports hall in Caister.
Huckerby stood on the touchlines as he watched 16 pupils from Caister High School show off their soccer skills in their new sports hall, which was unveiled in September.
As well as giving his seal of approval to the spacious hall and its state of the art facilities, Huckerby also gave the year nine youngsters an insight into how he became one of the most popular strikers at Norwich City, netting 48 goals for the club.
Huckerby told the players, some of who feature in Norwich City academy games, that passing the ball at the right moment was vital and that defending in numbers should negate any striking threat.
You may also want to watch:
As well as seeing the new hall on Tuesday, Huckerby also spoke at the school assembly and during a question and answer session said his trickiest opponent was Manchester United's Ronaldo and that apart from Norwich City his favourites club was Coventry City.
PE teacher Katie Price said: “It was a brilliant afternoon. As soon as he turned up the children were buzzing and they all wanted to speak to him.”
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Legal challenge over riverside footpath is finally resolved
- 3 Woman threatened with 10in bread knife and two meat cleavers, court told
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Drone captures unique view of Norfolk landmark
- 6 How can Hemsby best be protected from surging seas?
- 7 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Bid for four-storey waterside flats on warehouse site
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Free wi-fi launched in Great Yarmouth’s Market Place
The hall has been opened up to the community by holding five-a-side football and badminton sessions. It was partly funded through sponsored fund-raising events organised by pupils.
Anyone interested in booking after school sports sessions in the hall can call 01493 720542 ext 340 for further information.