Great Yarmouth and Gorleston beaches through the decades
- Credit: Archant Library
Long lazy days on the beach are how many people think of Great Yarmouth.
And while the styles of swimwear and flavours of ice-cream may have changed over the years, the pleasures of the beach have mostly remained the same.
A series of photos from our archives shows the beaches at Great Yarmouth and Gorleston over the decades.
There are the young women from the big Norwich employer Jarrolds, taken to the coast for a day out.
Crowds on Gorleston beach.
A family playing cricket on the sand.
And a father with a haircut straight from the 1990s smiling with his kids for the camera.
- 1 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 2 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 3 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 4 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 5 Four fire crews tackle flat blaze in Great Yarmouth
- 6 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 7 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 8 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
- 10 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
People have been coming to Great Yarmouth and Gorleston for decades to enjoy the pleasures of the beach.
While some locals talk about the towns' problems, most visitors love the seafront attractions.
Some return year after year, with couples taking their kids the way their parents had taken them decades before.
The nostalgia is part of the appeal.
It's what keeps people coming back.