Tribute to Great Yarmouth woman who found solace in the sea
- Credit: Submitted
A Great Yarmouth resident who left for the United States in 1950 has died at the age of 87.
Phyllis Jennie Zizulka, nee Chambers, died on June 13 in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Mrs Zizulka was born to Albert and Maggie Chambers in Great Yarmouth on January 28, 1934.
Mrs Zizulka was a competitive hurdler and spent much time swimming in the North Sea as a teenager.
When she was 16, Mrs Zizulka met her future husband, the "Connecticut Yankee" Edward Zizulka.
You may also want to watch:
In America Mrs Zizulka worked as a nurse's aide and was a mother of four children: Jacqueline Lessard, Carolyn McKinnon, Tina Chambers and Edward Zizulka II.
In England she is survived by her nieces, Frances Parr and Margaret, their children and grandchildren.
- 1 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 2 New Banksy-style mural adds to town's crop of street art
- 3 A47 closed due to two-car crash at Acle straight
- 4 Historic pub poised for mini-market use bringing 20 jobs
- 5 Inquest begins into death of decorator who died at home
- 6 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 7 Acrobats and falcons wow crowds at the Out There Festival
- 8 Do you recognise this man?
- 9 Inquest date set for Gorleston woman found on beach
- 10 Driver dies in crash on A47
Daughter Tina said: "As a child, mom could see the ocean from her bedroom window in Great Yarmouth.
"She found solace listening to the sounds of the waves and the seagulls."