Tribute to Great Yarmouth woman who found solace in the sea
- Credit: Submitted
A Great Yarmouth resident who left for the United States in 1950 has died at the age of 87.
Phyllis Jennie Zizulka, nee Chambers, died on June 13 in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Mrs Zizulka was born to Albert and Maggie Chambers in Great Yarmouth on January 28, 1934.
Mrs Zizulka was a competitive hurdler and spent much time swimming in the North Sea as a teenager.
When she was 16, Mrs Zizulka met her future husband, the "Connecticut Yankee" Edward Zizulka.
In America Mrs Zizulka worked as a nurse's aide and was a mother of four children: Jacqueline Lessard, Carolyn McKinnon, Tina Chambers and Edward Zizulka II.
In England she is survived by her nieces, Frances Parr and Margaret, their children and grandchildren.
- 1 Football club president is face known to thousand of Hippodrome fans
- 2 Where you can watch fireworks in Great Yarmouth this summer
- 3 Plans to revamp Great Yarmouth town centre gather pace
- 4 7 famous faces with Great Yarmouth links
- 5 PM's pledge over new hospitals, including James Paget, to be probed
- 6 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 7 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 8 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 9 Rapid growth of farm shop proves value of business diversity
- 10 Wimbledon hopes come to an end for Norfolk tennis ace
Daughter Tina said: "As a child, mom could see the ocean from her bedroom window in Great Yarmouth.
"She found solace listening to the sounds of the waves and the seagulls."