Nightclub on coast hoping to recapture golden age
- Credit: Ocean Room
A nightclub is hoping to recapture its golden age as it launches a series of live shows after lockdown restrictions are further lifted next month.
The Ocean Room in Gorleston, one of Norfolk's best-known clubs, has been closed for most of the last year, having opened for only one event last October.
Co-directed by Kelly Edwards and Ben Jay, the venue was fully renovated during the first lockdown and now boasts a new extended terrace and bar.
Ms Edwards said: "It's been a tough few months but we've been busy behind the scenes, getting the place ready to open.
"We hope people are supportive and want to come and see what we're doing."
The first weekend of shows will see tribute acts to The Jersey Boys and Take That on Friday, May 21, followed by music night ‘The Room’ which showcases local bands in a ‘Later with Jools Holland’ style setting.
Mr Jay said: “We really want to bring this iconic venue back to doing what it does best, and that’s entertaining people.
"Even in this first batch of shows we have everything from stunning variety and magic, local unsigned musicians, to the countries leading tribute concert performers. There really is something for everyone”.
- 1 Pleasure Beach running locals evening with discount for NR postcodes
- 2 Drink driver caught while following police car on A47
- 3 Football club fined and chairman suspended over FA breaches
- 4 Dog rescued after fire breaks out at Gorleston home
- 5 Debate over 665 homes to be broadcast live amid 'heightened interest'
- 6 Children's truck convoy returns to region's road this August
- 7 'Handful' of people kicked out of Norfolk cinema amid Minions TikTok craze
- 8 Artist unveils stunning new butterfly mural on private house
- 9 Queen's baton and carnival set to deliver 'super Saturday' in Yarmouth
- 10 Man jailed for hotel arson which caused £6k of damage
Also lined up is a brand new variety show, Wonder Cabaret, which will bring together variety performers from across the UK.
The first show, on Friday, May 28, will feature Britain's Got talent Golden Buzzer recipient Matt Edwards.
The show's Host Taylor Morgan said he is looking forward to bring variety back to The Ocean Room
“We are very excited to be bringing top class variety back to this amazing venue. I really don't think there is anywhere better in the country to watch cabaret, people of all ages being able to sit around a table and laugh, smile and be in amazement together.”
Audiences will have the chance to book a table for their group in three levels of pricing, and also add on food from a new menu.
Mr Jay said: “The idea of enjoying food and drink during a live show is something that hasn't been seen for such a long time, and we really think people will love it. After the long hard year everyone has had we can't think of a better way to put a smile back on people's faces.”