Organ donor campaign launched
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to urge people to give others the gift of life after their death by registering as organ donors.Norfolk's WI members have taken up the cause - spearheaded by the Great Ormesby branch - on behalf of the around 9,000 people in need on an organ transplant.
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to urge people to give others the gift of life after their death by registering as organ donors.
Norfolk's WI members have taken up the cause - spearheaded by the Great Ormesby branch - on behalf of the around 9,000 people in need on an organ transplant.
It is a cause particularly close to the heart of Great Ormesby committee member Barbara Tennant whose son is waiting for a second transplant.
Mrs Tennant said: “Everyone has the gift of life within their power, but also the freedom to choose whether they wish to donate organs when they die.
You may also want to watch:
“Transplants are one of the most miraculous achievements of modern medicine, but they depend entirely on the generosity of donors. Sadly 400 people die every year while waiting for a donated organ and many others will die before they get onto the transplant list. We desperately need to change this.”
At the James Paget University Hospital 50 patients attend three times a week for kidney dialysis. Unless transplants take place no further patients can be given the life saving dialysis they so desperately need.
- 1 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 5 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 6 Shop to reopen after fire which caused 'significant' damage
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 10 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
To join the NHS Organ Donor Register call 0845 60 60 400 or visit www.uktransplant.org.uk.