Organ donors needed to save lives
THE Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is urging people to sign up with the national Organ Donor Register. Transplant donor co-ordinator Marie Garside says: "One donor can give life to several people.
THE Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is urging people to sign up with the national Organ Donor Register.
Transplant donor co-ordinator Marie Garside says: "One donor can give life to several people. There is a critical shortage of organs and more than 8,000 people in the UK need an organ transplant, mostly awaiting a kidney transplant, and this includes over 500 people in East Anglia needing a transplant. Every year around 1,000 people die while waiting."
Retired company director Peter Stokes lost his wife suddenly in December 2007 but he and his family drew great comfort from the fact that his wife wished to donate her organs.
No fewer than five successful transplants were possible, and four of those patients are still alive over two years on.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stokes said: "There is a great sense of satisfaction that others have benefited which has really helped our family cope with the sadness of losing a loving wife and mother."
To sign up as an organ donor, call the NHS Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23. Leaflets are also displayed in GP surgeries, libraries and many hospitals and pharmacies or go to http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
- 1 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 4 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 5 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 6 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 7 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 8 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 9 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 10 Funding worth £98m secured for Yarmouth's Third River Crossing