Search

Ormesby pensioner's fire escape

PUBLISHED: 12:04 16 June 2009 | UPDATED: 14:11 03 July 2010

A PENSIONER escaped when a frying pan in his kitchen caught fire on Saturday evening.

Norman Munroe, 75, of Decoy Road, Ormesby St Margaret was busy cooking shortly after 8pm, but went away to attend to another task forgetting he had left the frying pan on the hob.

A PENSIONER escaped when a frying pan in his kitchen caught fire on Saturday evening.

Norman Munroe, 75, of Decoy Road, Ormesby St Margaret was busy cooking shortly after 8pm, but went away to attend to another task forgetting he had left the frying pan on the hob.

He said the pan caught fire but he was able to put it out before firefighters arrived. He believed an alert neighbour had called the fire service after seeing smoke coming from the house.

Mr Munroe, who lives with his son Ian, 46, said: “I could have been worried when the pan caught fire, but I am fairly robust. I don't panic much.”

Fire service spokesman Martin Barsby said Mr Munroe received treatment from paramedics for smoke inhalation.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury