Landowners of old Pontins site warned to ‘sort themselves out’
PUBLISHED: 15:51 18 October 2018 | UPDATED: 15:51 18 October 2018
The landowners of the fire ravaged former Pontins site have been warned by a councillor to ‘sort themselves out’ before a potentially “fatal incident” takes place.
Great Yarmouth Borough council issued Northern Trust, owners of the former holiday site in Hemsby, with a notice to clear out asbestos from the affected buildings following another fire there last Tuesday.
Councillor for East Flegg, James Bensly, has described the site as “an accident waiting to happen” and is concerned with Northern Trust’s lack of action.
Mr Bensly said: “Northern Trust just do not seem to care about the site. It is an accident waiting to happen and we are all starting to fear the inevitable.
“There is a serious risk of a fatal incident taking place and the whole community is extremely concerned.”
Great Yarmouth Borough council have served Northern Trust with a statutory nuisance order which requires them to remove asbestos-containing materials from the fire-damaged buildings.
MP for Great Yarmouth, Brandon Lewis, is pleased to see the council taking action on the issue but has blasted Northern Trust’s maintenance of the site.
Mr Lewis said: “The former Pontins site has been left to wrack and ruin for too many years and the council should be using every power afforded to them to try and keep the site as secure, clean and safe as possible.
“Sadly it is clear that the owners of the site are not behaving like a good neighbour should; letting down the people of Hemsby. Strong action is required.”
The fire which took place last Tuesday night was the second blaze in less than three months at the site on Beach Road.
The holiday park in Hemsby was hit by a devastating arson attack in August which had to be tackled by 90 firefighters.
Following this the borough council advised Northern Trust to secure the perimeter of the 22-acre site and demolish the buildings which had been affected by the fire.
Chairman of the Great Yarmouth Borough Council environment committee, Carl Smith, said the council is continuing to “liaise positively with the site owner and their contractor to ensure the community and immediate area remain safe.”
Northern Trust has been contacted for comment.