Painting mystery solved
THE mystery surrounding a painting sold at auctioneers Christie's in London may have been solved.Former Broads Authority inspector Barry Childs has come forward to answer a question posed in last week's Mercury as to where the oil on canvas Cattle Watering at the River, Near Yarmouth was painted.
THE mystery surrounding a painting sold at auctioneers Christie's in London may have been solved.
Former Broads Authority inspector Barry Childs has come forward to answer a question posed in last week's Mercury as to where the oil on canvas Cattle Watering at the River, Near Yarmouth was painted.
He believed the scene showed Wickhampton Church by the River Yare, owing to the presence of two windmills in the background, which he believed were Yarmouth Old Mill and Berney Mill.
Mr Childs said he was familiar with the scene through his work which involved him working with the police to patrol the river checking the licences of craft and ensuring boats adhered to speed limits.
The 60-year-old, who lives in Yewtree Close, Bradwell was an inspector on the Broads for 27 years until his retirement five years ago.
“As a river inspector, I used to have the Reedham boat as one of my boats and would regularly see that shot across the river with the mills in the distance. The scenery has not changed that much round here and you can probably still see that shot,” he said.
- 1 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 2 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 3 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 4 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 5 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 6 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 7 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 8 Four fire crews tackle flat blaze in Great Yarmouth
- 9 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
The painting, by the artist Robert Gallon, sold for £750 last week.
The picture shows a peaceful river view with a farm and church in the background surrounded by trees and an area of grass on which the cattle are grazing. Gallon, a portrait and landscape painter, lived between 1845 and 1925.