Plans for 15 new homes in Hopton approved
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Plans to build 15 new bungalows have been approved despite objections from parish councillors and neighbours.
The homes in Hopton were approved by the Development Control Committee at Great Yarmouth Borough Council on Tuesday night.
Hopton Parish Council had objected to the planning application on the grounds that they believed the sewerage and drainage system was already under pressure, but Anglian Water said local sewers had enough capacity and surface water would be taken away by on-site soak-aways.
Charles Reynolds, chairman of the planning committee, asked council officers to closely monitor drainage arrangements at the site and ensure the developer, Cripps Developments, set a management company up to maintain the fittings. Cllr Reynolds said he had concerns after flooding at The Oaks development in Ormesby last month, which was also built by Cripps. Three homes were filled with a foot of raw sewage after heavy rainfall. Cllr Reynold said: “The developer has more or less walked away and stuck two fingers up to people. It is not right. “If this goes ahead I hope the people who purchase the properties are not left in the same position that the particular developer has done in Ormesby. “No-one knew about the management company. He thought ‘I have built it, now I can forget about it.’” Cllr Reynolds later apologised for “getting upset”, and said the Ormesby situation should not effect councillors decisions on the Hopton development. Daniel Cripps, the developer, said he did not want to comment on the Ormesby development.
He said that it was standard practice to set up a management company for the drainage, with one or two of the people who live in the properties on a private site having responsibilty for maintenance.
David Ramsden, chairman of Hopton Parish Council, commented his conservatory was now too hot to use in summer after trees on the development plot were chopped down.
Mr Cripps said that Mr Ramsden had offered to buy the land where the trees were, but he was unable to agree to a sale as the plot had already been sold. The proposal for 12 three bedroom, and three one bedroom properties, had been recommended for approval by the borough council’s planning officers.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
The site is bounded on one side by the A12 and accessed via Lowestoft Road. Land adjacent to the site has already been built on by the same developer after that scheme was approved. Planning applications for residential development at the location were refused in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. In 1990 outline planning permission was granted for a trunk road service area with a 60-seater restaurant, which was renewed until 2007, however it was then refused because there was no proven need for a service station.