Police believe group of youths witnessed fatal A47 slip road crash

The scene of the fatal crash at the A47 slip road off Beccles Road.Picture: Jacob Massey

The scene of the fatal crash at the A47 slip road off Beccles Road.Picture: Jacob Massey - Credit: Archant

Police are appealing for information from a group of youths they believe to have witnessed a fatal crash in the early hours of this morning.

The police have also confirmed that the driver of the vehicle was a 55-year-old man from the Lowestoft area.

The white Honda Accord was travelling towards Gorleston town centre on Beccles Road when it crashed into the wall of the A47 bypass on the slip road at around 1.15am.

Emergency services attended but the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police believe a group of young people were in the area at the time and may have witnessed the collision, but left the scene before the arrival of the emergency services.

Sergeant Adrian Hales, from Acle Roads Policing, said: “It is believed a group of up to ten young people were in the area at the time of the collision and we would urge them to contact us.

“They are not in trouble at all, but they may have important information in order for us to establish the circumstances leading up to the incident.

Most Read

“Our enquiries are ongoing and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the driver at this time.”

Stuart Pearce, who lives in Beccles Road, said the sound of the collision woke him up.

He said: “The bang woke me up and I thought some boys had thrown something in a skip or banged a pole or something.

“But soon all these blue lights started going past so I knew something had happened.

“I put some clothes on and had a look and there were about five police cars and a couple of fire engines that had cut the doors off the car.

“When I went back out on my dog walk at around 6.30am the road was still closed but there were a few cars parked outside the vets having a look.

“It’s like a race track down here with the lights and the lanes, so people often speed past to avoid getting stuck behind lorries.”

The road was eventually reopened at 7.30am, after police had carried out their initial investigations.

Graham Plant, Great Yarmouth Borough Council leader, sent his best wishes to the family of the victim.

He said: “It is so sad. Obviously my thoughts go out to the family of the man.

“Hopefully an investigation will find out what happened. It is not an accident black-spot.”

Anyone with information should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Team on 101.