Police warning over suspect traders
POLICE are urging Martham residents to be vigilant following reports of rogue traders operating in the area. It follows calls about suspected rogue trader operating in Somerton Road at about 4.
POLICE are urging Martham residents to be vigilant following reports of rogue traders operating in the area.
It follows calls about suspected rogue trader operating in Somerton Road at about 4.30pm on Wednesday where a woman called at a house offering to sell replacement windows, but failed to show ID.
A police spokesperson said: “Often such traders don't provide full names, trading addresses or contact telephone numbers, resulting in it being virtually impossible to trace them if there are any problems with the work or goods - which is all too often the case. Such traders often ask for cash upfront, and don't offer the entitled seven-day cancellation rights also.”
Norfolk County Council's Trading Standards officers advise residents should never agree to have work done, or buy goods, from someone who calls unannounced at their door, or approaches them on the street.
You may also want to watch:
Trading Standards has reminded householders to double check the identity of anyone cold calling at their home and always ask for quotes and references before any work on your garden or home is carried out.
Investigating officers would like residents to report similar incidents by calling the operation RADAR team at Norfolk Police on 0845 456 4567.
- 1 Bin collection days to change across Great Yarmouth area
- 2 Man accused of murder of woman in Gorleston could stand trial in May
- 3 See inside new homes taking shape at former Pontins holiday park
- 4 New Sainsbury's plan revealed for Bradwell
- 5 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 6 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 7 Council could buy five properties for rough sleepers with complex needs
- 8 New twist in Star Hotel saga as it changes hands for just £1,000
- 9 Are customers still wearing face masks?
- 10 'It's a marvellous day for Yarmouth' - Marina Centre reaches milestone