Popular Yarmouth artist dies
A POPULAR figure inthe Great Yarmouth art world has died aged 81.Edward Darby, pictured, was well known in the town for his hundreds of watercolour paintings of local landmarks, including St Nicholas' Church in Yarmouth and other churches in Bradwell and Hopton.
A POPULAR figure in
the Great Yarmouth art world has died aged 81.
Edward Darby, pictured, was well known in the town for his hundreds of watercolour paintings of local landmarks, including St Nicholas' Church in Yarmouth and other churches in Bradwell and Hopton.
He became a member of the Great Yarmouth Society of Artists in 1966, eventually becoming the group's secretary and died on August 24 following a short illness.
You may also want to watch:
Born to parents Nellie and Frederick Darby in Yarmouth in 1928, he attended the town's Hospital School before working at Docwra's rock candy factory in the town. He served in the navy on HMS Raleigh during the second world war.
He has two children - Valerie Allard, 57 and Kevin Darby, 51 - five grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
- 1 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 6 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 8 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say
Mrs Allard said: “He was self- taught and he sold many of his paintings.”