Popular Yarmouth artist dies
A POPULAR figure inthe Great Yarmouth art world has died aged 81.Edward Darby, pictured, was well known in the town for his hundreds of watercolour paintings of local landmarks, including St Nicholas' Church in Yarmouth and other churches in Bradwell and Hopton.
A POPULAR figure in
the Great Yarmouth art world has died aged 81.
Edward Darby, pictured, was well known in the town for his hundreds of watercolour paintings of local landmarks, including St Nicholas' Church in Yarmouth and other churches in Bradwell and Hopton.
He became a member of the Great Yarmouth Society of Artists in 1966, eventually becoming the group's secretary and died on August 24 following a short illness.
You may also want to watch:
Born to parents Nellie and Frederick Darby in Yarmouth in 1928, he attended the town's Hospital School before working at Docwra's rock candy factory in the town. He served in the navy on HMS Raleigh during the second world war.
He has two children - Valerie Allard, 57 and Kevin Darby, 51 - five grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
- 1 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 5 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 6 Shop to reopen after fire which caused 'significant' damage
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 10 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
Mrs Allard said: “He was self- taught and he sold many of his paintings.”