Push to re-open Yarmouth post office
THE owner of a post office shut in last year's controversial closure programme is campaigning for it to reopen.Great Yarmouth's Northgate Street branch was one of eight axed in and beyond the borough last August.
THE owner of a post office shut in last year's controversial closure programme is campaigning for it to reopen.
Great Yarmouth's Northgate Street branch was one of eight axed in and beyond the borough last August.
Hundreds of customers signed a petition in a failed bid to save the post office, which was one of the oldest in the town.
Now Jayne Nicolson is asking for support to persuade Royal Mail to reopen the counter space.
You may also want to watch:
Former sub-postmistress Jayne has struggled to attract enough business to the convenience store she continues to run with mum Sheila.
She has secured the support of MP Tony Wright, who has written to the Royal Mail to ask if the branch can be reopened.
- 1 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 2 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 3 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show
- 4 Norwich City legends play football against dementia
- 5 Pleasure Beach's tropical event ready to launch - and free macs if it rains
- 6 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 7 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 10 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
Jayne said: “Mr Wright is positive in his support and has been backing us 100pc, now we are hoping all the people who supported us before will do so again.
“So many customers complain about the queuing times in the main post office at WH Smith and say how much more convenient it was coming here.
“I would love to be able to open the post office again, but in my heart of hearts I don't think it is going to happen.
“We were told if Royal Mail did reconsider reversing any of the closures they would probably reopen the Lichfield Road branch.”
Since the post office shut Jayne has struggled to attract enough business to the shop, which she put up for sale before Christmas.
The grade II listed building has planning permission for a first-floor flat and is on the market with Howards Commercial Property for just under �150,000.
“The other day we sold one card and often it might be lunchtime before someone comes in. People pop in for
a chat but don't buy much,” said Jayne.
“We would love to restore the building, but it is more trouble than it is worth. You cannot even put in an electric socket without drawing up plans.
“Our first choice would be to reopen the post office, but if that doesn't happen we will have to sell up.”
Other post offices shut in the area last year were Lichfield Road and Beresford Road in Yarmouth, Springfield Road, Gorleston, Upton, Stokesby and West Somerton.
Anyone wishing to support the reopening of the post office should write to Tony Wright MP, Constituency Office, 20 Church Plain, Great Yarmouth NR30 1NE or email email@example.com.