Racecourse punters increase
Great Yarmouth Racecourse was amongst the frontrunners recording a big increase in the number of punters last season.Numbers attending meetings at the course rose by 6.
Great Yarmouth Racecourse was amongst the frontrunners recording a big increase in the number of punters last season.
Numbers attending meetings at the course rose by 6.3pc to nearly 65,000, despite the poor summer weather.
Yarmouth achieved the second best increase in visitor numbers out of the 10 racecourses with the same number of fixtures.
Overall it was the seventh most popular flat racing venue in Britain and 11th overall out of 59 courses nationwide.
You may also want to watch:
Nationally average on course attendance rose in 2007 reversing a three year decline according to figures published this week by the Racecourse Association.
General manager Glenn Tubby said: “These results were brilliant I am especially pleased as attendances had been down in previous years. It is more than pleasing to have increased figures on the back of pretty poor summer, which affected the number of visitors to Yarmouth.”
- 1 Walk-in vaccine clinic as surplus stock becomes available
- 2 People gather in the street for funeral of "local legend"
- 3 'Subtly creepy' man, 70, posed as teen to chat to 12-year-old girls
- 4 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 5 Riverside road closed after sinkhole opens up
- 6 Eyes down for bingo and bubbly as players toast their return
- 7 Mercedes badge or shooting star? Confusion over town's new light display
- 8 Norfolk high school appoints new principal after 'difficult year'
- 9 'Check your outbuildings' - Concern grows for missing 26-year-old
- 10 Missing man found safe and well in woodland near his home
“We have been able to attract new visitors with music night evenings and the family fun days as well as retaining the traditional horse racing fans.”
The number of race meetings is increasing this season to 23 with the opening fixture on Easter Monday March 24.