Racecourse punters increase
Great Yarmouth Racecourse was amongst the frontrunners recording a big increase in the number of punters last season.Numbers attending meetings at the course rose by 6.
Great Yarmouth Racecourse was amongst the frontrunners recording a big increase in the number of punters last season.
Numbers attending meetings at the course rose by 6.3pc to nearly 65,000, despite the poor summer weather.
Yarmouth achieved the second best increase in visitor numbers out of the 10 racecourses with the same number of fixtures.
Overall it was the seventh most popular flat racing venue in Britain and 11th overall out of 59 courses nationwide.
You may also want to watch:
Nationally average on course attendance rose in 2007 reversing a three year decline according to figures published this week by the Racecourse Association.
General manager Glenn Tubby said: “These results were brilliant I am especially pleased as attendances had been down in previous years. It is more than pleasing to have increased figures on the back of pretty poor summer, which affected the number of visitors to Yarmouth.”
- 1 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Great Yarmouth bakery forced to close after it was 'condemned dangerous'
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Woman whose house was bombed in the war celebrates 100th birthday
- 6 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
- 7 Testing ramped up after 'extreme rise' in Covid cases in coastal areas
- 8 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 9 'Curiouser and curiouser' - Mystery white rabbit graffiti appears on coast
- 10 Parking ban outside town centre church looks set to be reversed
“We have been able to attract new visitors with music night evenings and the family fun days as well as retaining the traditional horse racing fans.”
The number of race meetings is increasing this season to 23 with the opening fixture on Easter Monday March 24.