Liz Coates Structural engineers asked by conservationists to survey the bridge two years ago say it is repairable within a “realistic” budget which could me met if there was enough local momentum to get the work done.
Structural engineers asked by conservationists to survey the bridge two years ago say it is repairable within a “realistic” budget which could me met if there was enough local momentum to get the work done.
Morton Partnerships, based in London and Halesworth, spent several days surveying the structure and concluded problems with localised corrosion could be dealt with easily by experts.
Engineer Stuart Armitage said he sensed people in Great Yarmouth had “a soft spot” for the grade II listed bridge which once carried the railway over the Bure to the working quays.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “A couple of years ago we did a feasibility study in relation to different options. It is quite a nice structure and at that time we did it on behalf of the conservation officer at Great Yarmouth Borough Council looking at all the options including repair and replacement.
“We looked at full repair and possible integration of a cycle lane. It is a gateway to Great Yarmouth and with repair it would be quite a splendid structure.”
- 1 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 2 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 3 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 4 Man jailed for county lines drug dealing in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 6 Suspected murder victim had 'heart of gold' and 'loved life'
- 7 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 8 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 9 Funding for Hemsby sea defences a 'significant challenge'
- 10 Euro 2020 crowds blamed for Gorleston Covid spike
He added that the timber decking also needed attention.
Ken Gibbs, managing director of Protective Maintenance Systems of Bradwell said he felt sure other sandblasting companies would also be prepared to offer their skills.