Red Arrows will take to the skies at Great Yarmouth Air Show
- Credit: MoD/Crown copyright 2007
The Red Arrows will be soaring over Great Yarmouth and performing aerobatic tricks during the resort’s air show in June.
Today the Royal Air Force announced that the crack team will headline both days of the inaugural Haven Great Yarmouth Air Show, which takes place on June 16 and 17.
Also confirmed by the RAF for the show were the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the RAF Tutor Display Team.
Show director Asa Morrison said: “This is the icing on the cake for what is shaping up to be a brilliant line-up for the Great Yarmouth Air Show.
“The RAF teams are a huge draw and people travel from all over the country to see them in action.
“We weren’t sure that the Red Arrows would be able to come to Yarmouth following the fatal accident involving one of the team’s Hawk aircraft in Anglesey last month.
“They are a very close-knit team but they have decided to proceed with their 2018 programme and we are deeply grateful that they have agreed to include a two-day visit to Great Yarmouth.”
- 1 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 6 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 7 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 10 Obituary: 105-year-old who outlived eldest sibling by five months
The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will also fly on both days. On Saturday the display will feature its Lancaster heavy bomber accompanied by a Hurricane and Spitfire, recreating some of the most iconic sights and sounds from the 1940s.
The following day will see a Hurricane and Spitfire take to the skies.
Completing the RAF’s air show contingent will be its Tutor Display Team, which joins the programme on Sunday.
The Haven Great Yarmouth Air Show is organised by the Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement Area to boost visitor numbers and the local economy. It is expected to attract 170,000 people and generate an extra £10m for local traders.
Aerial displays will take place from lunchtime until late afternoon on both days. The Golden Mile will also be packed with stalls, stands and amusements.
Other displays confirmed so far include the Bremont Great War Display Team, Blades and Wildcats aerobatics teams, the Army’s Tigers freefall parachutists and a Long-EZ flying wing.