Search

Red card for unruly drinker

PUBLISHED: 12:22 31 January 2009 | UPDATED: 12:54 03 July 2010

INITIATIVE: From left, Insp Nick Cheshire, PC Gary Pettengell and Mike Butcher at the launch of the revised Nightsafe scheme in Great Yarmouth last week.

INITIATIVE: From left, Insp Nick Cheshire, PC Gary Pettengell and Mike Butcher at the launch of the revised Nightsafe scheme in Great Yarmouth last week.

Laura Bagshaw

THE first troublesome drinker was shown a red card at the weekend under a new scheme which aims to clamp down on alcohol-fuelled violence in the borough.

THE first troublesome drinker was shown a red card at the weekend under a new scheme which aims to clamp down on alcohol-fuelled violence in the borough.

A man who refused to walk away after a seafront scuffle was handed an exclusion order under the revised Nightsafe scheme, which sees unruly drinkers banned from member premises with their profiles and photographs uploaded to a secure website.

The first red exclusion order card was issued on Saturday night at around 9.45pm. Incident details and a picture of the unruly drunk was immediately uploaded to a website and within 10 minutes more than 70 licensees and police officers had access to the information.

It was issued following a fight involving six men outside the Pier Tavern, on Marine Parade, Yarmouth. The scuffle was broken up by door supervisors but one man refused to leave and threatened door staff.

After notifying the town's CCTV control room the exclusion order was issued, and the man is now banned from entering any member premises for six months, and the ban could be extended if the order is breached.

Launched last Tuesday, the new Nightsafe scheme, devised by Long Bar owner Mike Butcher and PC Gary Pettengell of

Norfolk Police, aims to be more effective

in tackling alcohol-fuelled violence

with instant banning orders.

PC Pettengell said: “This is an excellent example of how effective the new Nightsafe scheme is and how it empowers victims. Under the old scheme an exclusion order could only be served following a court conviction and then only if the banning committee agreed.

“There were six people involved in this incident and the only person to be served an exclusion order was the person who didn't walk away. This clearly demonstrates a responsible attitude on behalf of the door supervisors and gives a clear message to all concerned.”

Pleased the new system had worked well, Mr Butcher said: “It is unfortunate these incidents happen at all but hopefully this scheme will stop that.”

Sixteen pubs and clubs are now signed up to the scheme with many more expected to follow.

Local taxi firm Albies said this week it would be signing up to the scheme - meaning people who cause trouble in their taxis face being banned from pubs and clubs. Business partner Andy Kitchen stressed it would not mean people banned from pubs and clubs could not use their cabs, but instead attempted to encourage good behaviour.

“Most of our taxis have cameras and by being members we can pass on that information,” said Mr Kitchen.

The scheme is being piloted Yarmouth, and organisers hope it will roll out across the county and adopted by police forces up and down the country.

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists