Search

Reedham celebrates ship's visit

PUBLISHED: 15:46 24 April 2009 | UPDATED: 13:46 03 July 2010

FIFTY years ago today, HMS Reedham visited her "name" village of Reedham.

She was tied up alongside the riverbank, as there was no jetty in those days, to mooring posts which had to be provided for the occasion opposite the Lord Nelson public house.

FIFTY years ago today, HMS Reedham visited her “name” village of Reedham.

She was tied up alongside the riverbank, as there was no jetty in those days, to mooring posts which had to be provided for the occasion opposite the Lord Nelson public house.

She was welcomed by parish councillors and many villagers. During her stay, crew members were invited into homes, had guided tours and played football against the village team to whom they lost heavily, and a dance was also organised.

Two members of the crew dated local girls and later married; they still live in the village.

HMS Reedham was a Ham class inshore minesweeper, one of 93 which were named after British villages ending with “ham”. Photographs of the ship can be seen in the church, Ship public house and the village hall, which also houses the crest which was presented to the village during the visit - while the ship was presented with a top loading washing machine from the village!

HMS Reedham was launched on August 19, 1958 and completed her career in 1966 when she was sold.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists