Remember Lacon’s beers? Share memories at Blackfriars Brewery
PUBLISHED: 20:09 01 March 2012
PEOPLE are invited to share their memories of one of Yarmouth’s most historic breweries.
Lacon’s Brewery of Great Yarmouth can trace its origins back to at least 1640 and now local retired vicar and brewery historian, Rev Eric Doré, is trying to put together a dossier of the beers brewed by Lacon’s and is looking for help from those who actually drank the beer.
Lacon’s supplied more than 20,000 pints of beer to the great festival dinner held in Yarmouth in 1814 to celebrate the victory over Napoleon, during the 1850s they built up a strong trade in London sending between 2,000 and 3,000 barrels of beer per week by sea and later by rail. Lacon’s closed in 1968.
There is evidence even now that Lacon’s brewed more than 25 different brews over the years but Rev Dore is calling on people who remember drinking the draught beers of bitter, best bitter, mild and old.
People are invited to share their memories at Blackfriars Brewery in Great Yarmouth on Saturday, March 3 from midday until 2pm.