Renovation work halted
RENOVATION work at a Great Yarmouth ice cream and snack bar gutted by fire last year was halted this week amid fears over health and safety. Several Regent Road traders had complained to the borough council's environmental health department about the way in which work was being carried out at Peppino's.
RENOVATION work at a Great Yarmouth ice cream and snack bar gutted by fire last year was halted this week amid fears over health and safety.
Several Regent Road traders had complained to the borough council's environmental health department about the way in which work was being carried out at Peppino's.
Environmental health officers visited the premises last week and gave advice to the owners, however on Tuesday after a second inspection the borough council, in consultation with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), prohibited work at the premises.
Mike Butcher, owner of nearby nightspot The Long Bar, said he'd been in contact with the council after being approached by several concerned traders. He said traders feared building work on one of the town's main shopping hubs would deter tourists.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Butcher said: “Dust has been going everywhere up Regent Road. Rubbish is piling up in a skip and traders are complaining.
“Dust has been flying in the faces of holidaymakers, what message is that sending out?”
- 1 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 5 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 6 Shop to reopen after fire which caused 'significant' damage
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 9 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 10 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
Kate Watts, commercial team manager at environmental health, said the council had been in consultation with the HSE because it has no legal powers to stop work at a premise. She said work had stopped due to general health and safety concerns and that samples of material had been taken to test for asbestos.
Work will be able to continue once the HSE is satisfied health and safety requirements are met.
The building was gutted by a fire, caused by an electrical fault in wiring, in September last year.