Reward of £5,000 offered in search for missing Gorleston student Sophie Smith
- Credit: Archant
A reward of £5,000 has been offered for information which leads to the safe return of missing Gorleston student Sophie Smith.
The gesture has been made by Jason Smith, from Gorleston-based RJS Builders and will only be paid following information which leads directly to the safe return of the 21-year-old.
Miss Smith has been missing since 3am on Boxing Day after leaving her home in Avondale Road in Gorleston wearing just a vest and shorts. She did not have her mobile phone with her.
CCTV footage captured her heading towards the seafront a short time later, but there have been no other confirmed sightings since then.
Sophie’s disappearance has prompted a remarkable reaction from local people and hundreds joined the emergency services to help scour the coastline in the hope that she will be found.
At midday, a group gathered at the Britannia Pier in Great Yarmouth before spreading themselves out as widely as possible along the beach and trekking north through Caister-on-Sea, California and beyond.
Whilst the first search was still going on, a second search began at Hopton Holiday Village from 2.30pm.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 3 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 9 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
The University of East Anglia biomedicine student had been suffering from severe anxiety and depression and police believe the “most likely scenario” is she entered the sea at Gorleston.
Sophie is described as white, about 5ft 8in and slim with shoulder-length blonde hair.
Anyone with any information regarding the whereabouts of Sophie Smith should contact Norfolk police immediately on 101.