Ringside medic tells inquest ring was too full as she tried to save Jakub ‘Kuba’ Moczyk

The inquest into the death of Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, is continui

The inquest into the death of Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, is continuing. Photo: Archant Library - Credit: Archant

A medic who was ringside at a boxing match where a young fighter was knocked out and later died has told an inquest there were too many people in the ring as she tried to save him.

Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, was rendered unconscious by a punch to the head during the third round of his first public fight in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

He was taken from the Atlantis Tower Arena venue to hospital on November 19, 2016 and died two days later, Norfolk Coroner’s Court in Great Yarmouth heard.

MORE: Inquest into death of Great Yarmouth boxer Jakub “Kuba” Moczyk hears of safety concerns from his sisterEmergency medical technician Susan Mitchison told the inquest she was called to provide medical cover on the day of the fight at short notice, and said it was “disorganised” in the ring as she worked on Polish-born Mr Moczyk.

She works with her husband, Andrew Cawlard, for his firm, Lifeshield Medical Services, which provides medical cover at events including boxing matches, small festivals and on film sets.

She said when the bout started she and her husband were at a ringside table, and they both rushed into the ring when Mr Moczyk was knocked down in the third round.

“As soon as we saw him going down, my husband went one way round the ring and I went the other,” she said. “He was unconscious, he was fitting and he was bringing up a lot of fluid.”

She said they used suction to clear his airway and put him on oxygen, and another man helped support Mr Moczyk’s head because she was unable to do physical work as she was recovering from an operation.

Most Read

She said paramedics arrived within 10 minutes.

Mr Moczyk’s twin sister, Magdalena Moczyk, asked if she thought there were too many people in the ring.

Ms Mitchison replied: “Yes, there were, and there were people who didn’t need to be there, and I did ask some to leave on more than one occasion.”

MORE: Coroner to investigate death of young Great Yarmouth boxer Jakub MoczykShe continued: “There were so many people there. It was disorganised.”

Mr Cawlard said: “The only person I wanted in the ring was the person translating for me.

“I had to ask for the ring to be cleared at one point.

“They did clear the ring.”

Ms Mitchison said she first heard about the event when she was called at 4.30pm on the day.

“I was informed that the medical cover had let them down and could we possibly help,” she said. “I said in response ‘I’ve just had major surgery, I’m not allowed to lift’.

“I’d had a major hernia repair and I was just recovering from that.

“I had the stitches removed a few days before.”

She told the inquest she phoned her husband, who was working at a London film set, and he said if she could do basic medicals before the fighting started he would get there “as quickly as he could”.

Ms Mitchison said there was no area prepared for medicals and she was given no details about the boxers, no list of names or disclaimer forms.

She said she set up a table beside the DJ booth, and got each boxer to write their name on a piece of paper she found as they were checked to see if they were fit to fight.

The names of both Mr Moczyk and his 17-year-old opponent, Irvidas Juskys, appeared on this list.

The inquest continues.