Search for Great Yarmouth’s sporting heroes
The cream of sporting achievement and service will be honoured this autumn with the Active Norfolk Sports Awards.
And organisers are asking people to nominate Great Yarmouth’s local sporting heroes for the sixth annual awards.
With the Olympic and Paralympic Games, 2012 has been an epic year of sport and it is hoped the awards will capture some of that excitement.
Organisers want people to let them know about Norfolk’s sporting heroes, sporting role models and sporting inspirations - whether they are world champions or just the pride of your community.
John Croxon, 74, who was last won years Unsung Hero Award said: “I was surprised at winning, particularly when I heard of the contributions made to disabled sport by the other nominees.
“Receiving the award was recognition and a thank you to my fellow club members of Norfolk Fencing Club for all their help.
“The Awards Ceremony was a great night, very professional without losing the friendly atmosphere”.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
A spokesman for Active Norfolk said: “We want as many nominations as possible, from as many sports as possible, from athletics to water-skiing, and from bowls to yachting.”
There will be a total of ten categories for nominations
1. Sports Personality of the Year
2. Young Sports Personality of the Year
3. Inspirational Sports Personality of the Year
4. BBC Unsung Hero
5. Community Coach of the Year
6. Sporting School of the Year
7. Community Club of the Year
8. Sporting Village of the Year
9. Sporting Business of the Year
10. Active Norfolk Winner of Winners (judged by the panel from all finalists)
The final award, the Active Norfolk Winner of Winners, will be chosen from the successful candidates in the other categories.
There will be a winner for each category, all of which will be announced at a special awards evening to be held at The Forum in Norwich on Wednesday, November 7.
Winners will also be put forward for the BBC Regional and possibly National Sports Awards.
So if you know somebody in Great Yarmouth who deserves to be rewarded for their sporting efforts, or a team that has done amazing things this year, visit www.activenorfolk.org/nominate2012 and nominate them for an award.