Search for missing swimmer called off
Hayley Mace The search for a missing swimmer who got into difficulties off Yarmouth's North Beach has been called off.
The search for a missing swimmer who got into difficulties off Yarmouth's North Beach has been called off.
The man, in his early to mid 20s, went missing at about 2pm on Thursday.
The search continued on Friday but today a spokesman for the Yarmouth Coastguard confirmed that the formal search for the man had stopped.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman said: “Our volunteer coast watch stations will be keeping an eye out for anything, as will all the lifeguards. Any coastguard patrols will also be looking for him but the formal search is no longer going on to any degree.
“Anybody who has been in the water so long would most likely have succumbed to hypothermia. I imagine it will now be two or three days before anything more is known.”
- 1 Weekly fireworks making 'spectacular' return to seafront
- 2 TV presenter Stephen Mulhern spotted filming pop-up game show in Yarmouth
- 3 Appeal to find missing man from Gorleston
- 4 Bid for grocery store in end-of-terrace house
- 5 Drone images show devastation caused by holiday centre fire
- 6 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 7 Missing man from Gorleston found
- 8 Yarmouth police officer admits seven child porn offences
- 9 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 10 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
On Thursday afternoon, a friend who had been in the sea with the missing man, who is not thought to be local, managed to swim back to shore and raise the alarm.
A search helicopter and two lifeboats joined local police and the coastguard searching the area, on what was one of the hottest and busiest days of the year so far in the resort.