Search for missing swimmer called off
Hayley Mace The search for a missing swimmer who got into difficulties off Yarmouth's North Beach has been called off.
The search for a missing swimmer who got into difficulties off Yarmouth's North Beach has been called off.
The man, in his early to mid 20s, went missing at about 2pm on Thursday.
The search continued on Friday but today a spokesman for the Yarmouth Coastguard confirmed that the formal search for the man had stopped.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman said: “Our volunteer coast watch stations will be keeping an eye out for anything, as will all the lifeguards. Any coastguard patrols will also be looking for him but the formal search is no longer going on to any degree.
“Anybody who has been in the water so long would most likely have succumbed to hypothermia. I imagine it will now be two or three days before anything more is known.”
- 1 Great Yarmouth man banned from high street at night
- 2 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 3 Princess Anne pays flying visit to historic Broads' boatyard
- 4 New Sports Direct in town's former M&S set for summer opening
- 5 Norfolk ban for three men who stole cash from Yarmouth fruit machines
- 6 Coastal holiday parks getting £3m investment
- 7 Woman shares horror after pet cat Dave is mutilated by elastic band
- 8 The challenges of May 17 re-opening - including keeping people sat down
- 9 "I love it here" - No surprise at village's Rightmove popularity
- 10 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
On Thursday afternoon, a friend who had been in the sea with the missing man, who is not thought to be local, managed to swim back to shore and raise the alarm.
A search helicopter and two lifeboats joined local police and the coastguard searching the area, on what was one of the hottest and busiest days of the year so far in the resort.