Search for Molly as boat starts new era
DESPERATELY seeking Molly Thorn!
Ullswater “Steamers” in the Lake District have put out an appeal through The Mercury to find Molly, or her relatives, to help with a special event.
General manager, Mark P Horton, writes: “We have recently acquired a vessel known as Western Belle, which was built at Fellows and Co Shipyard of Great Yarmouth.
“And we have evidence that this boat was originally launched in 1935 by Molly Thorne, daughter of the shipyard manager, E J Thorne. She is described as ‘a little girl’, and this was quite traditional in those days. The younger the person that launched the boat, the longer the boat was expected to survive.”
Mark continues: “Western Belle is currently on our slipway, and is almost ready to begin the next chapter of her life, here on Ullswater at the age of 75!
You may also want to watch:
“And I wondered if Molly Thorne may still be alive, and if so, would she would be interested to come and help re-commission the boat early next year?”
Mark adds he would also be interested to hear from Molly’s relatives or anybody else with any old pictures of Fellows and Co shipyard.
- 1 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 2 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 3 More than 31,000 tickets sold for Fire on the Water
- 4 The budget: Great Yarmouth estate to receive £860,000
- 5 Where sewage is being emptied in rivers and waters around Yarmouth
- 6 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 7 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 8 This pub can be included on your Trick or Treat round
- 9 Mother and daughter celebrate multi-generation graduation
- 10 New boost for the Wellesley
l He can be contacted at Ullswater “Steamers”, The Pierhouse, Glenridding, CA11 0US, telephone 017684 82229. Log on to www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk