Sizewell ' was hours from accident'

PUBLISHED: 09:49 15 June 2009 | UPDATED: 14:10 03 July 2010

THE government should halt plans to build more nuclear power stations after it was revealed that Suffolk was just hours away from a nuclear accident, campaigners have claimed.

THE government should halt plans to build more nuclear power stations after it was revealed that Suffolk was just hours away from a nuclear accident, campaigners have claimed.

About 10,000 gallons of radioactively contaminated water was discharged into the North Sea in January 2007 after a pipe, carrying cooling water to an engineered pond containing highly radioactive spent fuel rods, burst at Sizewell A power station on the Suffolk coast.

Now an independent consultant's report has shown that the power station was about 10 hours away from a serious accident which could have drained the cooling pond, uncovered the old fuel and started a fire which would have released highly radioactive products.

Last night, the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament's eastern region spokesman, Mell Harrison, called on the government to reconsider its position on the future of nuclear power.

She said: “It just shows how close we were to disaster. I certainly think the government should look at this and put a stop to any new nuclear power stations being built until we understand exactly what we are letting ourselves in for.

“It shows how vulnerable Sizewell is and proves that we should be decommissioning the power stations we've got and certainly not even considering building new ones.”

Site operator Magnox South said at the time that it had taken the incident seriously but that there was never any off-site danger or impact on the environment.

However, a report commissioned by the Shut Down Sizewell Campaign and written by Dr John Large, of Large and Associates, has called for the Nuclear Installations Inspectorate (NII) to look at the incident again and reconsider prosecuting Magnox South.

Suffolk Coastal MP John Gummer said that he will carry out independent research of his own before meeting site managers in the summer.

He said: “I want to go through every single detail of the report so that I know I will be asking the right questions when we meet. I will be looking not only at what happened, but at what the danger was.

“I understand that when investigations were carried out after the incident, it was found that there was no danger to people in the surrounding area.”

Paul Wilkinson, Sizewell A's site director, said that storm drains had been 'bunged' as a result of the incident and that the contaminated water was only released into the sea after calculations showed that the radioactivity contained was less than 1pc of the annual discharge limit.

Mr Wilkinson said the company had “worked closely and in an open and honest manner” with its regulators. “We have addressed every issue and we're willing to be involved in detailed debate on the event itself,” he said. Ray Jepps, Magnox South chief nuclear operating officer, said the NII report made public was an interim document. “A lot more technical detail will be in the final report,” he said.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury