Skills for young Gorleston cyclists
Young cyclists pedalling around Gorleston have new skills to keep them safe.A group of year 5 students from Cliff Park Junior School took part in Bikeability a new government programme which replaces the cycling proficiency test.
Young cyclists pedalling around Gorleston have new skills to keep them safe.
A group of year 5 students from Cliff Park Junior School took part in Bikeability a new government programme which replaces the cycling proficiency test.
Mrs Kemp, the school's bike it coordinator, stated: “Bikeability is an excellent scheme, and we are delighted with its introduction to our school. It is different to the cycling proficiency test as the vast majority of training is delivered on actual roads with real traffic and the training providers' cycle with the group to model what is expected. This scheme gives our pupils first hand experience of how to deal with real life road conditions and prepares them for making cycle journeys on quieter roads around Gorleston.”
Headteacher, Chris Tye, said: “It's a wonderful service, and we would certainly advocate that all year 5 and 6 pupils receive this training. The instructors were first class and had an excellent manner with the children. We had feedback from the children who all agree the course was informative and from parents that their children appear much more safety conscious leading them to feel happier to allow their children out on their bikes in the local community.”
You may also want to watch:
Youngsters learn correct road positioning, road awareness and observation and, for teenagers, how to negotiate mini roundabouts, traffic light-controlled junctions and filter lanes safely. The courses are free and everyone completing them receives a certificate and badge of each level they attain.
- 1 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 4 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 6 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 7 Road shuts in Great Yarmouth after crash involving two cars
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Woman suffers fatal heart attack in ambulance outside Paget
- 10 'How can they do this to mum' - Anger as 87-year-old dumped at care home