Slimming course starts in Yarmouth
Slimmers across Great Yarmouth and Waveney are invited to sign up for a new free weight management course using behaviour change to help shift pounds.Instead of a usual “diet” the Do Something Different programme, being funded by NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney (NHS GYW), tackles people's behaviour rather than focusing on dieting.
Slimmers across Great Yarmouth and Waveney are invited to sign up for a new free weight management course using behaviour change to help shift pounds.
Instead of a usual “diet” the Do Something Different programme, being funded by NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney (NHS GYW), tackles people's behaviour rather than focusing on dieting.
Being rolled out this month, the new 12-week weight loss programme has never been delivered in the area before.
Shamsher Diu, public health consultant for NHS GYW, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone thinking about losing weight - but who may have been unsuccessful in the past - to get on board and find out how this may help them.”
You may also want to watch:
The programme is based on changing behaviour by asking the individuals to do different tasks each day to help break down familiar patterns in their lifestyle. Any slimmer who joins will also be asked to complete a questionnaire before the start of the programme to find out more about their behaviour patterns.
Dr Diu said: “Instead of driving one way to work, one of the tasks may be to drive a different route to work, or instead of going home and turning on the television it may be to change that behaviour for an entire night. Everyone will be able to do these simple tasks. You will not be lectured about not eating biscuits or chocolate - this is a different kind of programme.
- 1 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 2 Fashion boss treats Yarmouth auntie to Mercedes for 60th birthday
- 3 The budget: Great Yarmouth estate to receive £860,000
- 4 Where sewage is being emptied in rivers and waters around Yarmouth
- 5 This pub can be included on your Trick or Treat round
- 6 More than 31,000 tickets sold for Fire on the Water
- 7 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 8 Public meetings to be held over 665-home bid
- 9 Where can you see Father Christmas in the borough?
- 10 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
“The aim is for continuous long-term weight loss rather than a quick fix.”
Health professionals will be able to refer people directly onto the programme, but individuals can also refer themselves by calling 0800 027 6413, texting CHANGE to 65000 or emailing email@example.com